Sunday, May 07, 2017

My Top 5 Criteria for Fertility Doctors and Staff

Obviously, you want to choose a good doctor. It’s hard to know from the start who is going to be good and who isn’t. They all graduated, right? Recommendations help. And sometimes, it’s just good chemistry. Also, at the beginning, you don’t know how far into the whole process you’re going to need to go. In my 4+ years of experience at different clinics and with different doctors, here are my top 5 of what to look for.
1. They care about me
This may seem like something obvious, but it’s really not. Like most doctors, fertility doctors have hundreds if not thousands of patients. Each one has her own expectations of how much attention she should be receiving relating to the problem at hand (including myself). And we’re talking about hundreds of very hormonal women here. I don’t envy fertility doctors, it’s a hard job. So on top of all that they have to deal with, my good doctors hav often made me feel like I might be their only patient. They have seen me on short notice, and have squeezed me in between other patients. They have always been there for me / us, to get us through tough results, miscarriages, moving countries or clinics, and have cared to have conversations that don’t just relate to follicles, embryos, linings, and sperm.

2. Cell phone number or email
To be blunt, if you don’t get a cell phone or email, don’t stay with that doctor. On my very first appointment with my doctor in Israel, Doron, he gave us his cellphone number. This is before moving over to IVF. I’m talking about the very first appointment at the fertility clinic - when you’re at the stage of, “you’re ovulating today, go have sex with your husband.” Nothing major. And to be honest, that may have happened once - I think we even skipped that stage and went straight to IUIs and injections because all the other drugs didn’t work, and I really did need his cellphone. I wasn’t sure if something was supposed to hurt or feel uncomfortable or if what I was feeling was a normal side-effect not to worry about. And even more so, once I started IVF, when the hormones increase and you feel even shittier, there were more questions. The truth is, I rarely called him, but knowing that I could was comforting enough. And when we really did need it, it was useful. Coming home from work at 5 weeks pregnant bleeding, and hearing from him on the phone that I should go to the hospital because it’s probably a miscarriage (which it was) was super helpful. I may not have known what to do and would start reading forums and who says what and why and isn’t it normal to have bleeding in early pregnancy (it is), and I would probably drive myself crazy. He was also in touch with us the whole evening at the hospital by text message and during my 2nd miscarriage a few months later where I was at 15 on the pain charts of 1-10, he was on the phone with Alon when we needed him. Doron is amazing, and if you read Hebrew, check out his informative blog here and like his page. When Doron left to open a private practice, I was assigned to some super old doctor who was very old-school (nothing against old doctors, just this one fit the stereotype). I called my previous doctor and asked him, off the record, who should I go to instead. I convinced the next doctor, Amir, to give us his cell number even though he didn’t give it out, and we would text him for urgent matters only. Super helpful!!! Now my doctor here, Yaakov, answers email almost immediately, as if it’s a text message, and it really makes us feel more at ease. Basically, have a way to get in touch with your doctor that isn’t just through the receptionist who goes on lunch for an hour and leaves at 3pm.

3. Being flexible and extra nice
Clinics shouldn’t operate like a fast-food chain. Sometimes there needs to be some flexibility and you want the staff to be extra nice to you. In Israel, fertility treatments are free, a part of the public health system. IVF cycles are unlimited (they tried to pass a law to limit it to 8, but there was so much push-back that they reversed it). Medications are 85-95% off for the first 2 children. And there is a “ceiling” for medication costs per quarter. It’s very easy to reach that ceiling even with the major discount, and once that happens, I would get a couple extra prescriptions to have on hand for the next round or to potentially donate. Also, in Israel you hold your paper file in your hands as you walk around from blood work to ultrasound to the doctor (if necessary), but if you want to order a copy of your file it costs money. One of the secretaries said to me, “there’s a photocopier, just photocopy what you need, no one will say anything.” And she was right. Now, for my friends in Israel who are in treatments I tell them to take a photo of their chart every time they go and to keep track of everything. It gets confusing the more you play around with different protocols. In Canada, it’s a lot harder to work around things than in Israel. In general, people play by the rules. When I used to get the regular ultrasounds done there was a giant tv screen so that I could see what the technician was seeing and we’d even talk about it. In Canada, I’m not allowed to see anything - I think I almost cried at my first appointment here, the technician was so rude (so I thought) and wouldn’t let me see anything. Eventually I got used to it, but there was one morning where I had sooo many follicles and after I shared that it’s still so weird for me that I can’t see the screen, the technician turned the screen around for me saying, don’t tell anyone. She was super sweet and understood how interesting it is also for the patient to see what’s going on in her body. To put it simply, just make sure the people are nice.

A hospital in Jerusalem - looks so beautiful from a distance
(c) Rebecca Schwartz

4. Awesome secretaries and staff
With the doctors, come the clinics with all the staff, nurses, lab and ultrasound technicians, and secretaries. It’s not easy for anyone to wake up super early to get to the clinic. I remember when I was in Israel and would get up at 5:30am. It’s an awful way to start the day. But there were always big smiles to greet me. And these women would have to get there also before the 7am start to set everything up. I always felt that these women really cared about me. There was one secretary in particular, Sarit, who was always there for me, would joke around, and would try to make everything easier for us. I remember after the ultrasound technician found no heartbeat they send me down to emerg in the hospital (that’s their protocol) and as I was checking in with the secretary at emerg she suddenly appeared in the back and looked at me (who was all teary-eyed) and motioned at me like “what happened?”, I motioned back waving my finger to signal that something went wrong and she started crying. I didn’t mean to make her cry, but she really cared so much about all the women she would see every day. The secretary at emerg also came out to give me a hug and a cup of water. These are amazing women who also deal with all the joys and disappointments that us infertiles go through and can act as a rock for us.

5. Think outside the box
When getting started with fertility treatments it makes sense to be on a similar protocol to everyone else. You’ve got to start somewhere. But doing the same thing over and over again is insane, and my best doctors have brought forth new and different treatments. In Israel, one of my doctors wanted to try this treatment that no one else was really doing at the clinic and I had to run around the hospital and pharmacies trying to get the right approvals, and in the end got it. He had seen it work on other women’s linings to help thicken it, and honestly, it didn’t work on mine, but he was creative and always thinking of different ways to help my situation. You want to be with someone who isn’t lazy and tries new things and can get creative. Be with a doctor who is patient and will answer your questions. Someone who can look at your history every so often with fresh eyes, and isn’t afraid to talk to doctors at different clinics for new approaches. My current doctor never rushes us, will bring in diagrams to explain things we don’t understand (even if we’re asking for a 2nd or 3rd time), and has lots of patience. If you don’t understand something, your doctor needs to explain it to you. At the end of the day, you’re left with yourself and your doctor might go somewhere else, so try your best to understand what you’re doing and why.

I have been very lucky over the past 4 years to be with excellent doctors who feel very strongly about making Alon and I into a larger family and we are very thankful. Hope this list is helpful for those of you currently on your journey or starting your journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment